Sunday, November 9, 2008

Last night in Kenya…
So this is my last post from Kenya. Tomorrow I leave for Uganda to teach high school and do an afterschool leadership program in Gulu. It’s a bit weird I must admit because I feel like after two months of building relationships and starting projects I now have to start all over. I kind of feel like if I am leaving I should be going home. These last few days/week have been very full. Full of practicing drama, dance, singing, games, crafts and bible studies with the kiddos (the kids had become very jealous of the older girls who I have been doing bible studies with so I found myself being begged to do more hahaha talk about fine by me ) I went to Narok last weekend with a group of 7 young adults from the Limuru area (all Kenyan). We met with 8 Masaai men and told the story of the bible in 16 stories with them. It really was a very cool experience- the bible being told in English, Swahili, Maasai and Kikuyo. They slaughtered two goats (don’t worry, like the pigs testicles I passed. luckily I am a vegetarian all the time so didn’t have to worry about fabricating an elaborate excuse) I got to see much more of the Kenyan landscape on the way including a good deal of wildlife including zebra. We went to a maasai church on Sunday and it was incredible. It was just such a testimony to how unbelievably multicultural our God is.
This week was incredibly busy preparing for the big inter-children’s home competition that happened today. It was an absolute blast. The kids performed very well and just had a lot of fun getting to spend time with kids from the other centers. The moms definitely had a ball and it was the social event of the month! Everyone worked hard and most importantly it was a step in uniting the children’s homes in the area rather than perpetuating this fragmentation and competitiveness between administrations.
I am very tired at the moment but its safe to say that I absolutely love the kids that I have gotten to work with these last few months-and side note-that’s not a given I don’t just LOOVE kids just because they are cute orphans. I will love on kids regardless but I have truly come to fall in love with these kids, with their hearts, stories and personalities.
The preschool sponsorship program is just about complete and that’s just straight up exciting so everyone should go to happyafrica.org and select a child to sponsor. Brian tropiano is a champ and designed the template…its adorable.
Chapter two of this adventure begins…

No comments: